End of Days
(Penryn & The End of Days #3)
Genre: Fantasy, Mature YA
Pre-order Amazon | Barnes & Nobles
Source: Review Copy was sent via Skyscape.
NOTE: Mild spoilers of the previous books up ahead.
- End of Days is the third final installment of Susan Ee's Penryn & The End of Days series. A short recap: this is a series about humans and angels during the aftermaths of the apocalypse. In Angelfall, Penryn is our anti-heroine who seeks the help of an enemy angel by the name of Raffe in order to seek her child sister Paige. Paige was abducted by the angels for god knows what, and Penryn is constantly on the run for her. During their long journey, Raffe and Penryn develop strong feelings for each other which continue in World After. Furthermore, in End of Days, as always, Penryn and Raffe are on the run, they are looking for a doctor who can help Raffe and Paige. They want to undo the damage done by the angels, although, now Penryn is seeking answers about Raffe's past after she has a glimpse of it. Is he really the good angel? Humans and angels are at a war now, who do Raffe and Penryn pick: their own race or or each other? Does love overcome all?
- Previously, I had done a WOW post on End of Days, and it is one of my most highly anticipated releases this year. How beautiful is the cover of End of Days?? This is the final cover of the series, and it is by far my favorite. The wings look stunning, and I love the golden effect of the background instead of the usual black background. I would pick up this novel in a bookstore as well. As the actual story begins, the first half of the novel is great, it was fascinating to see where it was going. I did start to lose interest afterwards though, I skimmed a page.. THAT DEPRESSED ME. The book is still good, but it just lacked more of a raw and emotional feel. I just didn't feel the same connection as I did with the previous books that were epic.
- Penryn is my all-time favorite heroine, she is badass, strong, witty, yet vulnerable. She has flaws, and that's exactly why a reader can adore her character. It was interesting to see her character growth when she realized she can't always be there for her sister Paige. Sometimes, people should be left on their own so they can discover themselves without you. Finally, Penryn is portrayed as someone to look up to, she has leadership abilities which clearly are shown in the final book. As for the male lead, Raffe as always is charming. It was intriguing to see him fighting an internal battle with his feelings.
- They had several cute scenes together, and I would always enjoy the scenes where they had their witty conversations, although they are much deeper now that they have an emotional connection. Penryn and Raffe are getting more chummy chummy, and the sexual tension is building up. As a reader, I just wanted them to get together soon! The humor and charm of the series is still there, it still makes me smile.
- The characters are great and the world building plot is fantastic; however, the most disappointing aspect of the novel is the emotional feel of it. It lacks emotion, it didn't make me feel all kinds of emotions as it did with the previous books. Don't get me wrong, it's still a satisfactory ending and I do like it, however I expected a lot more from the author. It's the same thing that happened with Richelle Mead's Bloodlines series ending, it was not as epic as I wanted it to be. There is sexual tension and drama, but I didn't see the magic of Susan Ee's writing. The magic is.. gone, I didn't want to be disappointed by this novel, but I kind of am. I'm aware that the author can write powerful moments, she has done it before, but I'm not sure what happened with the final book.
- Angelfall is my favorite young adult novel, World After was badass as well, sadly End of Days is the weakest of the books. It wasn't a bad novel, but my expectations were quite high for the last book. It is depressing to say goodbye to a beloved series and characters though. I will miss you Penryn, the insane mother, Paige, pookie bear, and especially Raffe. This is a fantastic series so please do check it out!
Recommended for fans of Angelfall, Guild Hunter, The Iron King.
Shukran for reading this! Leave your blog links in the comments & I'll be sure to check them out & drop by :) Stay in tuned pretty creatures..
“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” —Nora Ephron