Series: End of Days(Book #2)
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 147781728X
- Publisher: Skyscape (November 19, 2013)
- Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Nobles
- Genre: Fantasy, Mature YA
- Source: Review Copy was sent free of charge via Skyscape.
- *Note: The synopsis has spoilers for the previous book.
- Synopsis: In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world. When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken. Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans, where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go. Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?
- In the sequel of Angelfall, World After Penryn's sister Paige is captured when people believe she's a monster. Now, Penryn must search all through San Francisco searching for her younger sister once again. Raffe is hunting for his wings once again, and now he is conflicted whether he should search for his wings or help Penryn survive? I couldn't wait to get my hands on the copy of World After, and now I have finally finished it! I'm so glad it was not a disappointment. I knew it would be fantastic, because Angelfall is now my most favorite young adult novel. It is still a great novel. I personally love all the covers of this series, I believe it's one of the first books to start the wings effect on the cover trend - I've seen so many new covers similar to this.
- The character Penryn is so strong and she's an anti-heroine. Many readers can relate to her better because she is flawed. She's not completely good, but not bad either. This is an amazing character-driven novel, Penryn is still a girl with feelings, she is vulnerable at the same time. Most people in her situation would just give up already, it's quite difficult to be living a life where the human race is soon to be extinct and you can be next to die. Her witty dialogues as usual are adorable, she names the sword "Pooky Bear" which makes me laugh every time. She's exactly what I would love in a heroine - she is not exactly fearless. She's still a young, scared girl but in spite of that fear, she still shows courage. She's brave, I actually like her character even more than Katniss Everdeen. Penryn isn't trying to be a hero, she is just trying to survive and protect her family. She can be merciful, but she also can be cruel. Penryn is more vulnerable which is more realistic. I love Penryn's character, but hello, team Raffe over here<3 Let's not forget the male interest Raffee is, I honestly love his character. He's sweet, brooding, and very charming.
“I look up to say something but he puts his finger to my lips and whispers, “Don’t talk. You’ll just spoil my fantasy of rescuing an innocent damsel in distress as soon as you open your mouth.”
- The romance is swoon worthy, I am so rooting for this not-yet-couple all the way! I wonder, if they do ever come together - how is their relationship going to work? Are you they going to have an half human and half angel child? I'm not sure if it works in that way. I just want them to get together already! The concept is very intriguing, I like how books like these have the power to show all the possibilities of life. There can be truth in them. Imagine if books foreshadowed what was to come in future, now that's fascinating but also very dangerous.
“It is painful to see that people prefer a bad guy who looks like an angel to a good guy who looks like a demon.”
- World After is more moderate pace than the first book Angelfall. Angelfall was fast paced and so much was happening at every scene. World After did slow down a bit, but I didn't mind it that much at all. Although, it would have been better if Raffe and Penryn were reunited sooner. The hero and heroine don't come into contact until halfway into the book. The family conflict and Penryn's feelings over her sister took a lot of the book. A few chapters could have been sufficient.
- Penryn's mother is so twisted, her character is quite different since she is mentally disturbed.. She is crazy and she's fantastic. World After isn't as strong as Angelfall, but I still loved this novel regardless. It didn't make me cry this time though but that is okay, because this time I was quite happy at the reunion. This series is quite twisted, it's not gruesome but some parts can be horrifying. Susan Ee is very talented on making the series equally balanced with romance and an actual plot. The series is also humorous, it's very refreshing. More books like this please! I do look forward to the final installment of this series, I hope love overcomes everything. I would rate World After 5 wonderful butterflies.
Recommended for fans of Angelfall, and The Iron Fey.
Shukran for reading this! Leave your blog links in the comments & I'll be sure to check them out & drop by :) Stay in tuned pretty creatures..
“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” —Nora Ephron