Today, I will be presenting a discussion review with Jeann of Happy Indulgence Books, this was actually my second time doing a buddy read and it was an exciting adventure to try! Jeann will be posting her review of the book as well, so be sure to check it out guys!
- Jeann: I’m so disappointed with Splintered. I’ve heard all the raves and it started off really promising, but as soon as Jeb and Morpheus met, it kind of went downhill from there. I wanted more of the dark, mental health twist to Alice in Wonderland, less fighting over Alyssa. What did you think?
- Benish: I agree, I've seen mainly positive reviews about this series. The covers are all so gorgeous though. I'm not that familiar with the FairyTale Retelling "Alice in Wonderland" besides the insanity part. The mental illness aspect was there but there wasn't any depth into it. The romance did take over a lot of the book which is rather depressing.. Which male lead did you prefer?
- Jeann: I know, I thought I would have liked it a lot more! A lot of the Wonderland parts weren’t really that reminiscent of the story. If I really had to choose, it would be Morpheus. He was seductive and manipulative but at least he knew that you know? To be honest, I REALLY hated Jeb. He was overbearing, loved telling Alyssa what to do, and even worse, he was mucking around his girlfriend’s back to do it! Gosh, I hated the love triangle so much! How about you?
- Benish: I liked Jeb in the beginning, but like you mentioned he just became really controlling afterwards. The whole girlfriend part wasn't necessary either, it just creates more drama. Alyssa doesn't really have a backbone to herself either, she's always listening to him or her father. I wasn't the biggest fan of both male leads, although Morpheus was a little better. The second part of the book was much better though, I feel that's so common in many fantasy books - 70% romance and then boom, the actual action comes along. Do you see this trend too?
- Jeann: Oh mann, I did enjoy the ending where more of the action happened, but I guess by that point I was so annoyed with the love triangle drama and Alyssa’s meek character and everything. I mean hello Bella Swan with two pushy male leads! She did step up but it was at the very end, I just wasn’t sold. Yeah, this is what lets me down about paranormal fantasy. I used to love this genre but then it all kind of became focused on the romance. I don’t mind romance, but not when it’s so cheesy you know?
- Benish: Yes, that's so true. I'm surprised publishers still use the genre fantasy for these kind of books. Romance suits it better. The love triangle was super annoying with the damsel in distress. If they added more mental illness to the book and no Jeb, it could have been a good attempt of fantasy. Light fantasy usually don't work for me, although hearing the thoughts of bugs and other creatures was fascinating. Do you look forward to the rest of the series?
- Jeann: I can’t say I’m too keen Benish. I’ve heard mixed things about the next two books, but I have them on my shelf so I suppose I’ll be reading them at some point. I really LOVED the mental hospital angle with Alyssa’s mother talking to bugs and stuff like that! That was really creepy, I wish it didn’t head into the direction it did. But oh well, lots of people seem to love it. At least we can black sheep together <3 How about you?
- Benish: The black sheep direction doesn't seem too bad & yes we're in it together!<3 I have the rest of the two books on my shelves too so I will probably will get to them ultimately. I was really looking forward to liking Splintered, but it was just boring and lacked depth with the romance. This is a romance I so don't ship. The bug aspect & mental illness aspect was really good, I agree. How many stars are you moving towards?
- Jeann: I think it would be 2 stars for me. I feel more comfortable giving it 2 stars with you by my side Benish! How about you?
- Benish: I know, I'm glad you're the black sheep with me too! I would give it 2 stars as well, hopefully the next books are much better.
Thank you for reading this! Have an amazing month of July - Leave your blog links in the comments & I'll be sure to check them out & drop by :) Stay in tuned pretty creatures..