- Susan Ee
- Publisher: Skyscape (November 19, 2013)
- ASIN: B008ELHBAO
- Genre: Mature YA, Paranormal
- Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Nobles
- Source: Review Copy was sent free of charge via Skyscape.
- Synopsis: It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister, Penryn, will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where Penryn will risk everything to rescue her sister, and Raffe will put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.
- Angelfall is an urban fantasy novel that deals with angels and apocalypse. The humans live in fear of the angels who have descended on earth to demolish it. Penryn is a seventeen year old teenager whose disabled sister Paige gets kidnapped by the warrior angels. She takes upon the help of Raffe who is an enemy warrior and a rebel, he lives on his own and doesn't work with the other angels. Penryn rescues him and nourishes him back to health, she wants to find her sister Paige again and Raffe is her only source. Together, they began an epic detour and try to survive in the modern world.
- Well, this is a beautiful cover - I can't even begin to explain how WONDERFUL is the novel Angefall, I'm just thinking to myself, why did I take so long to read this?? This brought out several emotions in me: anger, disgust, sadness, and happiness. This is probably the best Young Adult novel ever, yes it's that strong and powerful. This is actually a self-published book, so many publishing companies should take notes.. I actually liked this even more than Harry Potter, HP is the most unique YA book/series but Angelfall is more fascinating and fresh - although they're both wonderful books. I was a bit hesitant to pick up this novel because the premise of a goose chase reminded me of the book Article 5. I've read too many novels of good girl and bad boy romance already. I don't believe angels and humans can mix together, it's not something I have given much thought to because angels are much higher and powerful than humans.. I'm with the majority on this novel, it completely blew me over. This is better than The Hunger Games, Throne of Glass, His Fair Assassin and every other Young Adult novel. This novel puts every young adult novel to shame, it's just that freaking perfect. Okay, now I still love my other YA books, but there is just something so fascinating and unique about this particular novel because it's more than a romance novel. It's about something so powerful: angels and humans mixing together and it's also about family, survival, and sisterhood. I adored this novel, I cannot stop gushing now that I have started. It's the most beautiful Young Adult novel I have read.. It's refreshing, amazing, and EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT. As the novel progresses, there isn't background information given on how the modern world came to be, but honestly it didn't matter to me. For once, I didn't care about the past and I focused on the present.
“I knew from the start that your loyalty would get you killed. I just never thought it would be your loyalty to me that would do it.”
- Our protagonist Penryn is similiar to our Katniss Everdeen. She's a badass, she can fight, she will risk her life for her family, however her witty remarks make me giggle. She cannot make a witty remark to save her life, those parts made me laugh because of how innocent the character is even though she is quite strong. She's not perfect though, she can be cruel to save her sister. He character is realistic, people can do cruel things to save their loved ones.. Moving on, with the male lead Raffe, anybody heard of the angel Rafael? I kind of fell in love with this character, he's caring, badass, loyal, and kind. The dialogue is pretty wonderful, I spent over forty minutes picking out the quotes because they are all so different. I love the way the author Susan has written this novel, she made the characters imperfect yet so amazing..
“I've never killed anyone before. What frightens me isn't that I'm killing someone. What frightens me is how easy it is.”
- Aaah yes, there is a hint of romance in this novel, although, it's not as mushy gushy as most YA novels. It's not a fluffy romance, and I'm quite happy to say it's not teenage angst, it's much more than that. There is forbidden romance, but you cannot help but root for them to unite! The conversations Penryn and Raffe had were sweet, touching, and hilarious. I could literally imagine a movie of this in my mind, I'll be the first to buy tickets of it. It is actually a major motion movie soon.
- This is mature YA, so yes this book can be nasty and gritty at a lot of parts. I was almost shocked to find this in a young adult novel, but I loved reading every part of it. It's something unique in YA that I really liked. The details can be explicit and disgusting, but I had to read them. I couldn't wait to find what happens next, but I also didn't want to rush myself so I took my sweet time to finish this novel. I definitely stayed up until 6:00 A.M to finish Angelfall. Once in a while, you find an amazing novel that sticks with you throughout your life - this might it. It does have a fascinating concept though, what happens when an angel does fall in with a human? Now, I know angels in reality don't have free will so the chances of this are zero to nothing. Although, it is a possibility to consider if they're fallen angels? The plot never slows down, it was intense and promising. I cried about twice in this novel, okay I didn't really cried, but I had tears in my eyes. The passion and love Penryn had for her mother and sister is heart breaking, and there is a part at the end with Penryn and her family that is so adorable.. It's surprisingly an emotional book that makes a strong impact. I don't think there is nothing I disliked about this actual novel, the twists and turns this novel had were refreshing. I couldn't see them coming at all, it's not a predictable novel which I'm happy about. The ending is quite perfect, I couldn't have really asked for a better ending, it almost killed me, now I cannot wait to finish the rest of this series. I would give this novel 10 butterflies if I could. The amount of praise I can say for this novel will always be less than it deserves.
Recommended for fans of The Hunger Games, and Legend.
Shukran for reading this! Leave your blog links in the comments & I'll be sure to check them out & follow :) Stay in tuned pretty creatures..
“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” —Nora Ephron